Beef Barley Soup with Hamburger
Amish beef barley soup is delicious, hearty, and easy to make. Loaded with barley, beef, and veggies, this recipe is a complete meal all by itself.
And it won't take long to get this pot of comfort food to the table, making it a handy dish for a busy day.
Isn't that what most of us are looking for nowadays? Simple, quick, and delicious. I know I'm always happy to find quick and easy meal ideas that my family will enjoy.
And wintertime calls for hearty comfort food, making this old-fashioned vegetable beef barley soup a perfect go-to.
Ground Beef Barley Soup
I love almost any cut of beef, and many recipes for beef barley soup are made with beef roast or beef stew chunks. And I'm sure barley soup with beef chunks is great as well.
But we all know that it takes a lot longer to cook meat chunks than ground beef. So for this Amish beef barley soup, we are using ground beef. However, if you prefer, you are welcome to use beef chunks, although you will need to cook them longer.
Easy Beef Barley Soup Recipe
Whenever I make soup with ground beef, I like to cook the beef separately and drain the fat before adding it to the soup. So that gives me an extra step and another dirty dish.
But if you use a lean type of burger, or if you don't mind the extra grease in your soup, you can go ahead and cook the hamburger in with your veggies. It makes it super easy, and you'll only have one pot to wash.
This post contains affiliate links...
What Kind of Barley Should I Use?
Barley is considered to be a heart-healthy grain. But honestly, I haven't cooked with it much, other than in this Amish soup recipe which I enjoy. So I'm not very familiar with different types of barley.
I always use Quaker's Quick pearled barley. So I recommend using Quick Pearl Barley, as any other kind will probably require longer cooking time.
You can usually find it at Walmart close to the rice and beans.
What Could I Serve With Beef Barley Soup?
This one-pot dish is a complete meal on its own. But if desired, there are some sides that go great with a bowl of barley soup as well.
One of the first things that come to my mind is homemade buttermilk biscuits, or perhaps you're a fan of cornbread.
And if you're trying to incorporate more veggies into your diet, almost any kind of salad goes well with a bowl of soup. You could try this delicious broccoli and cauliflower salad, or a seven-layer lettuce salad.
I hope you enjoy this Amish ground beef and barley soup. Let me know in the comments below.
More Amish Soup Recipes
Items you may need...
Amish Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. oil or butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried onion flakes (or a small chopped onion)
- 2 - 3 carrots, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 1/2 c. beef broth (or use 4 c. broth and add 2 1/2 c. water with 1 tsp. Better than Bouillon beef base)
- 2/3 c. Quick pearled barley
- Crumble, brown, and drain the ground beef.1 lb. ground beef
- Add the oil to a large cooking pot. Saute the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery in the oil for several minutes.1 Tbsp. oil or butter, 2 garlic cloves, minced, 1 Tbsp. dried onion flakes (or a small chopped onion), 2 - 3 carrots, diced, 1 rib celery, diced
- Add the tomatoes, seasonings, and broth. Bring it to a full rolling boil.1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp. dried thyme, 1 tsp. dried oregano, 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste), 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper (optional), 6 1/2 c. beef broth (or use 4 c. broth and add 2 1/2 c. water with 1 tsp. Better than Bouillon beef base)
- Add the barley. Cover and reduce the heat. Simmer on low for about 30 minutes.2/3 c. Quick pearled barley
- Serve. Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator. Reheat and enjoy!This soup can also be frozen in airtight containers for later.
Leave a Reply