Old-Fashioned Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
Old-fashioned Amish peanut butter cookies are a classic American treat that people have enjoyed for generations. They are made from a simple recipe that features basic ingredients such as peanut butter, sugar, flour, and eggs.
These vintage peanut butter cookies have a rich, buttery flavor that is balanced by the sweet, nutty taste of peanut butter. And they have a beautiful texture, being crisp on the outside and slightly soft and chewy on the inside.
They also have a distinctive crisscross pattern on top, which you make by pressing the tines of a fork into the dough before baking.
Grandma's Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies
This is truly an old-fashioned recipe that takes me back to my grandma's kitchen. It's a classic cookie recipe that has stood the test of time.
Therefore, I am guessing that some of you also found old-fashioned peanut butter cookies (similar to these) in your grandma's cookie jar.
And one of the most appealing things about these timeless peanut butter cookies is their simplicity. They are made with just a few ingredients. And they require minimal preparation, making them a quick and easy dessert to whip up on a whim.
This post contains affiliate links...
Cookies with a Crisscross Pattern
An identifying mark of old-fashioned peanut butter cookies is the crisscross pattern on the top. And it's very easy to make this simple pattern.
Scoop the cookies onto greased baking sheets. Then simply dip a fork into flour or sugar (this keeps it from sticking) and press the top of the cookie. Now press the cookie again in the opposite direction.
You don't want a bunch of flour sticking to the fork and going onto the cookie. (After each press, I dip my fork into flour and then give it a tap against the side of my flour tub.)
This pattern not only adds a decorative touch but also helps to flatten the cookies and ensures that they bake evenly.
Basic Peanut Butter Cookies
Amish peanut butter cookies are a delicious treat that can be enjoyed in many ways. And here are a few ideas:
- As a snack: Peanut butter cookies make a great snack on their own. Grab a cookie and enjoy it with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee.
- With ice cream: Warm up a peanut butter cookie and place a scoop of your favorite ice cream on top for a decadent dessert. Or crumble a cookie over top of a bowl of ice cream.
- With chocolate: Dip the peanut butter cookies in melted chocolate for an extra sweet treat.
- With a fruit spread: Spread some fruit jam or preserves on top of a peanut butter cookie for a sweet and tangy flavor combination.
- As a sandwich: Transform your ordinary cookies into a sumptuous delight by slathering your favorite creamy frosting on one and sandwiching it with another.
- With a glass of cold milk: Dip your peanut butter cookie in a glass of cold milk for a classic and comforting snack.
- Crumbled on top of yogurt: Crumble a peanut butter cookie on top of vanilla yogurt for added crunch and flavor.
- As a gift: Peanut butter cookies make a great gift for friends and family. Pack them in a decorative tin or box and give them as a thoughtful and delicious present.
Peanut butter is a lovely spread made from ground-roasted peanuts. It's a popular food item that is commonly consumed as a snack or used as an ingredient in a variety of recipes.
It is high in protein, healthy fats, and essential vitamins and minerals, making it a nutritious addition to many diets.
Peanut butter is often used as a spread on crackers, apples, or celery sticks. And, of course, on bread for the ever-popular PB&J sandwiches.
And lastly, there are also plenty of options available in terms of incorporating it into baking recipes. Peanut butter and chocolate are an excellent combination, as in chocolate peanut butter chip cookies, Reese's peanut butter bars, or chocolate peanut butter fudge!
Old-fashioned Amish peanut butter cookies are a beloved treat and are often enjoyed as nostalgic comfort food or a classic snack. And if you enjoy this recipe, I would love it if you left a comment and star rating below.
Old-Fashioned Amish Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 c. butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter, peanut butter, and sugars until well creamed.1/2 c. butter, softened (1 stick), 1/2 c. creamy peanut butter, 1/2 c. sugar, 1/2 c. brown sugar
- Add egg and mix.1 large egg
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Then add them to the creamed mixture and mix to combine.1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour, 3/4 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. salt
- Scoop the cookie dough onto greased cookie sheets and flatten them in a crisscross pattern with a fork dipped in flour or sugar. Bake for approx. 10 minutes (just until set, but not hard).
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on the tray for a minute before removing them to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container. And freeze whatever won't get eaten within three days, to keep them fresh.