Peanut Butter Rice Krispies with Chocolate
Today we're making Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bars. It's a yummy recipe that's always a hit! And doesn't it sound like a perfect combination?
I mean, we have sweet, crispy, peanut butter, and chocolate all in one bar. Sounds pretty great to me, and I say, "Yes, please!"
Chocolate Rice Crispy Bars
But these Amish Rice Krispie Bars might be a little different than what you were thinking.
Most of us enjoy the ever-popular rice-crispy treats that are made with marshmallows, Rice Krispies, and butter. And they can be covered in chocolate to create Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats. Yum!
But this Amish recipe for chocolate peanut butter Rice Krispie bars starts with a thin layer of fluffy cake on the bottom.
You will need to mix and bake the cake batter and then top it with marshmallows and a peanut butter chocolate Rice Krispie topping, creating a three-layered, finger-licking yummy dessert bar.
And trust me, they disappear quickly!
Amish Youth Gatherings
When I was with the Amish youth group, we had many fun gatherings and outings. From picnics, ball games, socials, etc., we had great times and lots of good food.
Many times every family was assigned to bring food along for our outings. And dessert bars/cookie bars are some of the easiest desserts to transport.
There are so many different kinds that you can make, and they make a great stand-alone dessert.
So we had lots of different bar recipes that we loved to bake. And these chocolate rice crispy treats were among some of our favorites.
Cake Batter Rice Krispie Bars (Variations)
Vanilla or Chocolate Batter?
These cake batter Rice Krispie treats can be made with chocolate or vanilla cake batter. This recipe is for a vanilla batter, but you can easily turn it into a chocolate batter by simply adding cocoa powder.
To make a chocolate batter, mix the ingredients as directed and add 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder along with the flour.
Marshmallows or Marshmallow Creme?
This recipe uses mini marshmallows. But if you prefer, you can spread the baked and cooled cake with a 16 oz. container of marshmallow creme instead of using marshmallows.
Nuts or No Nuts?
If desired, you can fold a half cup of chopped nuts into the batter before baking.
Crunch Bars Recipe
I have several different Amish cookbooks, and each one of them has at least a few favorite recipes that I make frequently. Sometimes you'll find the same (or at least very similar) recipes in different cookbooks.
I found this bar recipe in at least four of my cookbooks. But there are several different names for the same recipe.
The most common name for these Chocolate Rice Krispie Bars is "Crunch Bars", but they're also called "Chocolate Marshmallow Bars" or "Deluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Bars".
And one recipe uses brownies for the bottom part. So if you want to switch things up a bit, you can bake a 9x13" pan of brownies and top them with marshmallows and the chocolate Rice Krispie topping. And then you'll have "Double Chocolate Crunch Bars".
I hope you enjoy these Amish Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bars. Let me know in the comments below.
More Amish Bars and Cookies Recipes
Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
Items you may need (Affiliate links)...
Chocolate Rice Krispie Crunch Bars Recipe
Bottom Cake Layer:
- 1/2 c. softened butter (1 stick) or margarine
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 - 3 c. miniature marshmallows
- 1 c. (heaping full) chocolate chips
- 1 c. peanut butter
- 1 1/2 c. Rice Krispies
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat well.1/2 c. softened butter (1 stick) or margarine, 3/4 c. sugar, 2 large eggs, 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix to combine.3/4 c. all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- Spread the cake batter into a greased 9 x 13" baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15 - 18 minutes until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs.
- Remove from the oven and spread marshmallows over the top. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 2 minutes.2 1/2 - 3 c. miniature marshmallows
- Melt chocolate chips over low heat. Or you can melt them in the microwave at 30 second intervals.1 c. (heaping full) chocolate chips
- Add peanut butter and stir until creamy, then stir in the Rice Krispies.1 c. peanut butter, 1 1/2 c. Rice Krispies
- Spread the chocolate layer over top of the cooled marshmallows and set in the refrigerator to chill.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.
- Store bars in an airtight container in a cool place or in the refrigerator. These bars can also be frozen to keep them fresh longer.
Thank you so much for this recipe these are 1 of my favorite things from Amish market and I have been trying to find a recipe! I hope to try more amish recipe fruit and yogurt are another favorite
You're welcome! I'm glad that you are here.