Yumasetti, Yumasetta, or Yumzetti
Yumasetti is a popular Amish casserole that is made with noodles, ground beef, and peas, in a creamy sauce and topped with toasted bread crumbles. It's a very comforting and filling dish that is loved by all!
I have found Amish noodle casserole recipes with three similar names: Yumasetti, Yumasetta, and Yumzetti. So what is the difference between these three different recipes?
I thought that they were the same dish and people just gave it a slightly different name. But I have discovered that some Yumasetta recipes include tomato soup, and there can be other slight differences in the recipes.
The Yumasetti recipe that I am sharing with you today is made with a creamy sauce of mushroom soup, sour cream, and cheese. It's a great one-dish meal that comes together fairly quickly.
Amish Beef and Noodles with Mushroom Soup
This Amish noodle casserole includes cream of mushroom soup, or you can substitute it with cream of chicken soup if you prefer.
Some people seem to be surprised that the Amish would buy canned cream soups instead of making their own.
It's not that hard to make cream soups, and it is healthier. But it's an extra step that makes it take a little longer to get dinner on the table.
The Amish ladies are very busy. They cook most of their food from scratch, but many of them also take shortcuts such as using store-bought cream soups.
So, if you have lots of time and prefer to use homemade cream soup, make your own. It will be amazing!
But most of us, including the Amish, find it quite handy to open a can of mushroom soup instead of taking the time to make it.
Ground Beef and Noodle Recipes - Amish Noodles
It seems like Amish families eat lots of noodles, and some of them do make homemade noodles. But many of them also buy noodles at the store. And Amish noodles are popular in many supermarkets today, you can even find them at Walmart.
Amish egg noodles are delicious in this Yumasetti casserole, but you can use any kind of noodles you want (including gluten-free) for this traditional Amish casserole.
Yumasetti Casserole - A Great Potluck Dish
To make Yumasetti, cook the noodles according to the al-dente package directions. Cook the ground beef, onion, and garlic until browned. Drain any excess grease.
Mix cream soup, sour cream, cheese, and seasonings. Add the noodles, cooked beef, and peas. Stir to mix, and pour into a greased 9 x 13" baking dish.
You can top the casserole with store-bought buttered bread crumbs. But instead of using fine crumbs, I prefer to make my own bread crumbles.
Toast six pieces of bread to dry them, then crumble them into small pieces. Mix the bread crumbles with melted butter and scatter them over the top of the casserole.
Can I freeze this Amish Yumasetti Casserole?
The answer is Yes, you can freeze this noodle casserole.
If you are cooking for only a few people, you can divide this recipe into smaller portions and freeze some for handy meals later. Thaw overnight, in the refrigerator, and bake (it may take a little less baking time for a smaller amount).
More Amish Main Dish Recipes you may want to try...
Amish Beef and Noodle Dairy Casserole
Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Pot Pie
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. So, if you click on the link to make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you.
Check out my YouTube channel at My Amish Heritage
- 1 pkg. noodles (12 - 16 oz.)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 Tbs. chopped onion
- 1 1/2 c. green peas
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 - 1 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- salt to taste, about 3/4 tsp.
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. season-all
- 6 slices toasted and crumbled bread mixed with 5 Tbs. melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook noodles according to al-dente package directions.1 pkg. noodles (12 - 16 oz.)
- Cook and crumble ground beef, onion, and garlic. Drain any excess fat.1 lb. ground beef, 1 clove minced garlic, 2 Tbs. chopped onion
- Mix cream soups, sour cream, cheese, and seasonings. Add noodles, beef, and peas. Stir to mix.2 cans cream of mushroom soup, 1 - 1 1/2 c. sour cream, 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, salt to taste, about 3/4 tsp., 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 1/2 tsp. season-all, 1 1/2 c. green peas
- Pour noodle mixture into a 9 x 13" greased baking dish.
- Toast and crumble bread slices and mix with melted butter. Spread the crumbles over the top of the casserole.6 slices toasted and crumbled bread mixed with 5 Tbs. melted butter
- Bake, covered with foil, for about 25 minutes. Then remove the foil and continue baking for another 20 - 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
I made this 3 times! We really like it and I love recipes that aren't hard to make! I'm sure we will keep having it!!!! 😊
I'm so glad that you enjoy it!
Our daughter brought the dinner to us and it was delicious. We would like to have the recipe.
The recipe is right here on this post. Glad you enjoyed it!